Area 6000/A - Today we continued excavating our four burials. There are two burials in the northwest area, and we are expanding both to expose the skeletal remains further. In the southwest burial, we continued to uncover the rest of our skeleton; however the skeletal remains are in poor condition. The northeast burial is almost completely excavated, and we are planning on finishing tomorrow. There are three patellas currently, which indicates numerous individuals in the same burial area. Finally, in the southeast burial, we photographed the individual and then expanded the burial to expose two more individuals.
Area 6000 /B -Today, In burial 6242 we continued to expose the skeleton. Both humeri were uncovered, along with parts of both innominate. Some of the vertebrae are uncovered, and they are scattered diagonally between the humerus. The right scapula is cut but the left scapula is complete, however, it is further to the right than would be expected.
In burial 6250 we continued to prepare the skeleton for photographs. After removing the rocks and slate on the pelvis we found an intact pelvis and hands. We were able to locate undamaged pubic symphyses which will aid in determining the age of death of the burial.
The day started of with Alan checking the area to decide which spot was best to continue on with. The decision was made that the middle North East area would be the main focus, with the soil being sprayed down first to allow the soil to be easily troweled. Once it was sprayed down, the group moved the tent over to the area to ensure the sun did not dry the patch we wanted to keep wet. The methods used today were troweling, ensuring to curve around the rocks and dig up the top few layers of dirt to find a yellow colour instead. Later on in the day, the team continued the process of exposing the rocks. We found a variety of ceramics, ranging from the 14th C to much more recent. We also found a nail.